SOUTHBOUND ROUTE 28 TRAFFIC SHIFT STAYS IN PLACE UNTIL AUGUST 2013
Traffic on southbound Route 28 in the City of Pittsburgh and Millvale Borough, Allegheny County, will be shifted into a new configuration between East Ohio Street and the 40th Street Bridge beginning Friday, May 10, weather permitting.
When the shift is completed, southbound traffic will be split into two separate lanes. The existing right hand southbound lane will remain in place. The left hand southbound lane will be shifted beneath the 31st Street Bridge, adjacent to the northbound lane, beginning just south of the 40th Street Bridge. This traffic pattern will remain in place into August.
PennDOT reminds motorists to use all open lanes to the merge point in highway work zones. Be courteous to other motorists and allow them to merge. The effectiveness of traffic flow in highway work zones is highly dependent on driver behavior. Zipper! Using all lanes and allowing a consistent, courteous merge will reduce congestion and delay and help traffic move through the work zone.
NEXT PHASE OF LIBERTY TUNNEL IMPROVEMENTS APRIL 2 - NOVEMBER IN PITTSBURGH
Work on the $18.8 million fourth phase of work to improve the Liberty Tunnel (Route 3069) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, began Tuesday night, April 2.
The project includes repair of structural concrete, updating and repair of electrical, lighting and safety systems, refurbishing of the portal buildings and other improvements. The prime contractor is the Swank Construction Company, LLC. Overall work will conclude this fall.
To allow the work to occur, the Liberty Tunnel will be closed in both directions nightly from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. Sunday-Friday nights through November 2013. (Note: Outbound closures will begin approximately two hours later on nights of Penguins home games.)
Motorists are advised to consider alternate routes. Signs are posted to guide motorists using the following detours:
• Use Fort Pitt Tunnel or West End to Route 51
• Make right onto PJ McArdle Roadway
• Continue straight onto Merrimac Street to Woodruff Street
• Follow Woodruff Street to Route 51/19 (Saw Mill Run Boulevard)
• Make left onto Route 51/19 (Saw Mill Run Boulevard) and follow back to Route 19 (Liberty Avenue)
• End detour
• Take Route 51 (Saw Mill Run Boulevard) north to I-376 (Parkway West)
• Take the Parkway West eastbound through the Fort Pitt Tunnel
• Bear right on the eastbound Parkway East (I-376)
• Take the Parkway East to Grant Street (New Exit 71A/Old Exit 1C)
• From Grant Street, make right onto Boulevard of the Allies (Route 885)
• Take Boulevard of the Allies east to Liberty Bridge and Tunnels
• End detour
Commercial vehicle traffic should use the Parkway East (I-376), Parkway West (I-376) and Route 51 to bypass the closures. Message boards are posted to guide commercial vehicles through this detour.
LONG-TERM RESTRICTIONS IN PLACE AT 40TH STREET BRIDGE FROM AUGUST 2011 – FALL 2014
Long-term restrictions are in effect between the 40th Street Bridge and Chestnut Street that include maintaining two open inbound (southbound) lanes (shifted toward river/railroad tracks) during peak periods and one 11-foot wide northbound (outbound) lane around-the-clock through fall 2014.