Arts & Culture
Downtown is unquestionably the heart of Pittsburgh’s arts and culture scene. Each night, the Cultural District, 14 square blocks along Penn and Liberty Avenues, buzzes with theatergoers and diners. Enjoy a thrilling night of Broadway at the Benedum Center, or a dramatic evening of symphony, ballet or opera at the Heinz Hall, the home of the internationally-acclaimed Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. Both grand, breathtaking theaters, meticulously restored to their historic opulence, are known nationwide for their beauty and impeccable acoustics. On a more modern note, the O’Reilly Theater, designed by the noted Michael Graves, features theater with a contemporary edge. Art plays its part, too—especially at the popular free Pittsburgh Cultural Trust Gallery Crawls, held each quarter to showcase the Cultural District’s many galleries and art spaces, and when you go to a Gallery Crawl, don't forget to stop by our Night Market which is held in conjunction with each Gallery Crawl.
Looking for a more historical day in Downtown? Head over to the Senator John Heinz History Center and the Western PA Sports Museum to explore their newest exhibit. The Sports Museum captures the unforgettable and almost forgotten tales of Pittsburgh sports through hundreds of artifacts, more than 70 hands-on interactive exhibits, and 20 audio-visual programs. The History Center is Pennsylvania’s largest history museum and presents the most compelling stories from American history with a Western Pennsylvania connection. Or, take a stroll down to the Fort Pitt Museum to learn about Western Pennsylvania's pivotal role during the French & Indian War, the American Revolution, and as the birthplace of Pittsburgh--perfect for field trip, families and history buffs!
MAKING YOUR WAY DOWNTOWN
Complimentary Walking Tour of Pittsburgh podcast provided by Robert Morris University available in 10 different languages!
Free Self-Guided Walking Tours provided by the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.
Listing all 31 results in Arts & Culture:
- 707/709 Penn Gallery - 707 Penn Ave
- 921 - 923 Liberty Ave Parking Lot - 921-923 Liberty Ave
- 943 Gallery - 943 Liberty Ave
- Altar Bar - 1620 Penn Avenue
- The Andy Warhol Museum - 117 Sandusky Street
- Arcade Comedy Theater - 811 Liberty Ave
- Aria Cultural District Lofts - 121 Seventh Street
- Art Institute of Pittsburgh Gallery of Art - 420 Boulevard Of The Allies
- August Wilson Center - 980 Liberty Avenue
- Benedum Center - 237 Seventh Street
- Bricolage Production Company - 937 Liberty Ave
- Byham Theater - 101 Sixth Street
- Cabaret at Theater Square - 655 Penn Avenue
- CAPA Gallery - 111 Ninth St
- Carnegie Science Center - One Allegheny Avenue
- Carnegie Science Center/Highmark SportsWorks - One Allegheny Ave
- Children's Museum of Pittsburgh - 10 Childrens Way
- The Club at Stage AE - 400 North Shore Dr.
- Cultural Trust Education Center - 805/807 Liberty Ave
- Fort Pitt Museum - 101 Commonwealth Pl
- Future Tenant: A Space for Art - 819 Penn Ave
- Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council - 810 Penn Avenue
- Harris Theater - 809 Liberty Avenue
- Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts - 600 Penn Avenue
- O'Reilly Theater - 621 Penn Ave
- Opera House - 2425 Liberty Avenue
- Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre Company - 937 Liberty Ave
- Senator John Heinz Regional History Center - 1212 Smallman Street
- SPACE Gallery - 812 Liberty Avenue
- ToonSeum - 945 Liberty Ave
- Wood Street Galleries - 601 Wood Street